" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

New Eldritch Tomes

My library of Lovecraftian tomes has expanded over the last month. One of the most eagerly awaited was a preorder from Subterranean Press Beneath an Oil-Dark Sea The Best of Caitlin R. Kieran Vol. 2. How could I resist adding a book with such a stunning dust jacket by such a talented author to my library. I first learned of Kiernan while watching the documentary Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown on YouTube. I felt her comments were particularly relevant and I soon looked up her work. As someone who has worked in archaeology and has also had a life long interest in vertebrate palaeontology, I was particularly interested to learn that she had published in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology. I have read and enjoyed a number of her mythos tales, especially the whimsical and "romantic" “Love Is Forbidden, We Croak and Howl” in Lovecraft's Monsters edited by Ellen Datlow. I was really impressed by another Subterranean Press offering, her novella entitled The Dry Salvages. A SF work rather than a typical mythos tale it combines her love of palaeontology with the rather enigmatic tale of a doomed expedition investigating the remains of an extraterrestrial mining colony on the moon of the gas giant Cecrops. It has a subtle, haunting flavour I often associate with European SF and I recommend it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment