" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Monday, January 21, 2019

New Eldritch Tomes

  While I have not completed part three of 2018? More or Less, new items have passed thru the dark portal and appeared on my doorstep. First off the mages at PS Towers (their term) had a sale  on signed editions of The Dulwich Horror & Others by David Hambling, cover by Ben Baldwin.







Then a bookseller I have been doing business since, well it started via snail mail, had a sale. I got this lovely paperback I had been admiring for some time. Cover by Virgil Finlay.


But the item that really grabbed me was this Canadian Edition of Weird Tales. Weird Tales had a lot of interesting cover artists over years. A volume on Margaret Brundage appeared in an earlier edition of New Eldritch Tomes, and there were also artists like Virgil Finlay and Hannes Bok. One of my least favourite artists is Lee Brown Coye, but I could not resist his bright red cover for March 1948. And we have Smith's Master of the Crabs, not to mention the rest of the lineup, a who's who of Weird Tales authors.



Illustration by Lee Brown Coye


Illustration by Lee Brown Coye


I had been reading some of Wellman's
 John Thunstone stories earlier today. 
Illustration by Boris Dolgov


Illustration by Boris Dolgov


Illustration by Boris Dolgov


Illustration by Lee Brown Coye

2 comments:

  1. Hope you like Dulwich Horror :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I am sure I will. PS Publishing books are always good.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete