" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

New Eldritch Tomes, Ron Weighell, Manly Wade Wellman, Ramsey Campbell


I noticed The White Road on my favourite bookseller's homepage. That copy was sold but he was good enough to track down a copy for me, he had been reading it. He did say it was quite good and that Weighell should be better known. My wife and I were both working in archaeology when we meet and while we left the field we still follow it avidly. So an Egyptian themed cover will always catch my eye. I am also a fan of Victorian and Edwardian horror and modern works that mine that vein are grist for my mill. (sorry) The comments on Goodreads helped convince me I wanted a copy. 



Two anthologies edited by Ramsey Campbell, from the collection of Hugh Lamb another horror anthologist. New Terrors Volume 2 is inscribed "for Hugh, who knows how difficult these things are! Very best from Ramsey 24/10/80''

Cover by Andrew Douglas.

But want really interested me was the number of authors I associate with science fiction that are represented in the work. Christopher Priest (''The Miraculous Cairn''), John Brunner (''The Man Whose Eyes Beheld The Glory''), Greg Bear (''Richie By The Sea'') and M. John Harrison (''The Ice Monkey''). 

The Far Reaches of Fear, includes Manly Wade Wellman's The Petey Car which I wanted to read, as well as stories by Fritz Leiber, R. A. Lafferty, Brian Lumley, Robert Aickman and Campbell himself.

Cover by Terry Oakes.

Lastly Shadowridge Press put out a new edition of the Carcosa volume of Wellman's Worse Things Waiting with the Lee Brown Coye illustrations. I am iffy on Lee Brown Coye (heresy) but I really enjoy Wellman and the price was right for an old retired duffer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment