" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Sunday, October 21, 2018

New Eldritch Tomes


The nightgaunt(s) have appeared at our strange high house bearing even more eldritch tomes for this humble branch of the Miskatonic University library system. I can only assume Nodens"Lord of the Great Abyss" has subcontracted them to Amazon. 


Cover by Jason Van Hollander

I was happy to see Volume Six of the Black Wings series, although I preferred the covers of the previous volumes with their monstrous menacing creatures, vast against the background of star charts. Some good authors here, I am looking forward as always to Caitlin R. Kiernan, as well as the stories by Darrell Schweitzer, Don Webb. I am sorry to see there is nothing new by John Langan or Brian Hodge. Still I expect great things.


Cover by Ken W. Kelly

I have read some excellent mythos stories by Michael Shea, "Coping Squid", "NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT" and "The Presentation"  in DEMIURGE: The Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales of Michael Shea. So I decided to give this a try



Cover Art by Randy Broecker, Design Michael Smith

I have the Arkham House edition of Inhabitants but this edition from PS Publishing has lots of great extras, including first drafts and August Derleth's editorial responses to the stories.


Cover Art by Randy Broecker, Design Michael Smith

I now have all four volumes of the PS Publishing series of Caitlin R. Kiernen's collected stores.


Cover Art by Richard A. Kirk, Design by Michael Smith


Cover photo Paul Moore


I encountered this novel in a review by Michael Dirda, wow a sequel to  The Night Land, I had to buy this. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/stories-that-are-strange-fantastical--and-utterly-engrossing/2018/04/25/8baf4250-4706-11e8-8b5a-3b1697adcc2a_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.80472055a800

"While one of Iain Sinclair’s own urban fantasies involves the search for a reputed lost sequel to “The House on the Borderland,” Avalon Brantley, who died in 2017, actually produced her own in The House of Silence (Zagava Books). In it she drew additional inspiration from Hodgson’s brooding science fictional quest-romance “The Night Land,” the last published of his four novels. Alas, I haven’t yet had a chance to do more than look at Brantley’s book, but it has already been widely acclaimed a sui generis masterpiece. Earn bragging rights by being the first on your block to read it."

It came with a copy of The Little One about which I know nothing, except the house seems eerily familiar.



Cover photo Dare Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment