" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Recommended links: Episode 37: When Cthulhu Calls (Podcast)

In an effort to bring HPL: Beyond the Walls of Sleep into whatever century it is we currently inhabit, I thought I would look at some non-print aspects of the Lovecraft milieu. So I located a podcast, (description and link below) that looked Lovecraft's character Cthulhu (or is it really Howard's creation). I found this podcast enjoyable, Molinsky makes no secret of Lovecraft's flaws but captures some of the fannish enjoyment we get from characters like Cthulhu and the connections we makes between Lovecraft's various stories.

Eric Molinsky on his episode “When Cthulhu Calls”:
“I did an episode with Here Be Monsters, we did a collaboration, which was set in the world of H.P. Lovecraft. It was basically a fake episode, which starts out realistic—in fact, we did interview, I think, some kind of scientist, but eventually it got so ludicrous that I was interviewing H.P. Lovecraft’s brain in a jar, and it was making anti-Semitic comments toward me. And I could not have been more clear in the beginning that ‘This is going to start out real, but it is a radio drama.’ In the description on social media, in the description on your phone, it says ‘This is a radio drama.’ And I could not believe how many people wrote me and said, ‘I completely forgot. It was so believable that I forgot, and I’m really angry at you for misleading me.'”
Episode 37: When Cthulhu Calls

https://www.imaginaryworldspodcast.org/when-cthulhu-calls.html



And remember:
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

No comments:

Post a Comment