" It is new, indeed for I made it last night in a dream of strange cities: and dreams are older than brooding Tyre, or the
contemplative Sphinx, or garden-girdled Babylon" The Call of Cthulhu

Thursday, August 6, 2020

New Eldritch Tomes Lovecraft and Ian Miller Part Two


I have always wanted at least one paperback with an Ian Miller's cover for the Panther Horror editions of the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Eventually I tracked down a copy on ABE which seemed affordable, in theory. I ordered it March 30th from Australia but stuff was happening and I received it today. I was delighted.
A lovely reminiscence of reading these editions and much better cover photos of all three titles can be found here.


Some time ago I discussed my purchase of The Art of Ian Miller here. 


In this book he offered an alternative cover illustration for The Haunter of the Dark
Photo above from The Art of Ian Miller


Miller's explanation.
This French edition of  The Case of Charles Dexter Ward arrived some time ago. 

I am a Canadian but I do not speak or read French. My adult self might tell my rather unambitious younger self that learning other languages would be way more valuable than 90% of the curriculum especially the woefully inaccurate and outdated information on other countries the geography teacher dispensed. Okay I got that out of my system. So why buy this? I have read The Case of Charles Dexter Ward a number of times, and each time I rank it higher among Howard's works. But I have never seem a cover that did justice to the mood of the story until now. This representation of Joseph Curwen, in my mind, looking like he is becoming more and more bestial as he advances farther and farther into his dark arts is brilliant. What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment